The basic content of value-based education consists of knowledge, wisdom & science covering relationships between people and everything on the planet
- Knowledge = Why & How things exist in reality
- Wisdom = What to do – purpose and laws of living (based upon natural principles)
- Science = How to live in harmony-in our behaviour (friction-free relationships) and occupation (exploitation-free work)
In other words, the entire content for education is the study of physical, chemical & conscious activities, leading to mental balance, behavioral & social balance & natural balance. This content covers the three dimensions below:
- Conscioussness (self/I)
- understanding myself, conscious functions (thoughts, hopes, desires, understanding, etc.), goals, aspirations, fears and the source of happiness and unhappiness
- Relationships and Values
- Family: understanding my relationships with people in the family (with parents, brothers, sisters, etc.) and with friends, teachers & acquaintances. Understanding the intrinsic values in living and how they can be recognized and fulfilled
- Society: understanding my relationship with people in the society, recognizing how the human race is one and human religion is one. Understanding and living with social-laws & human values.
- Education: Learning how human society is formed and what our common goals are. Learning to live in family, and fulfill our roles, duties and responsibilities.
- Skill-Based Occupational Education: Learning useful skills from hands-based trades to practice self-reliance in living while maintaining ecological balance, e.g. farming, food preserving, carpentry, making clothing, repairing items, renewable energy technology, wind generators, etc.
- Science Education: Understanding physical-chemical processes-how they have evolved, their innate nature and characteristics and how these processes play an integral role on the planet.
- Ecological Education: understanding natural laws, the evolution from matter to plants to animals-their inter-relationships, how they are in harmony and how to interact harmoniously with everything.
Supplementing the current educational content
Education requires a holistic, comprehensive and integrated approach to include all aspects of wellbeing and ensure a complete education. This Education – Value System involves aligning the content (the “what”) of education and the process (the “how”) of education with an understanding of harmonious coexistence (the “why”/purpose).
To make education content complete, there is a need to enhance the current subjects. Study of the following missing aspects need to be introduced:
Science and Materialism
Inclusion of Consciousness in Science
Understanding of science needs to include holistic, solution-based Materialism, which brings about freedom from all conflicts and problems. This is a direct alternative to conflict/struggle-based materialism. It includes the study of consciousness along with the study of science and technology. This ensures that skills of science and technology will enhance human wellbeing and the wellbeing of everything on the planet (rather than lead to exploitation).
Inclusion of Sanskar (intrinsic values) in Psychology
Humane Consciousness-based Psychology, which explores consciousness development and harmonious living through humane conduct (living with values, character, and ethics) is an alternative to the current Psychology. It includes the study of intrinsic human values along with the study of psychology. Understanding ourselves and our inherent potential, results in a clear direction of how to live with happiness, trust and inner confidence. Negative feelings are merely an absence of intrinsic values.
Inclusion of Ethical and Responsible utilization of material and conscious aspects in Economics
Cyclical Economics (the realization of prosperity for all while enriching nature) is an alternative to profit-based economics. It includes the study of the protection, enrichment, and responsible use of personal and natural resources along with the study of economics.
Inclusion of Culture and Civics of Humaneness in Sociology
Behavioural Sociology (the realization of an undivided human society) is an alternative to consumerism-based Sociology. It includes the study of humanness, humanity, humanistic culture and civilization along with the study of sociology.
Inclusion of Conservation and Encouragement of Humaneness in Political-Science
Inclusion of Human being and Humaneness in History and Geography
Inclusion of Essential Reality in Literature
Behaviour-based Humanities (the realization of harmonious co-existence and understanding of the inherent goodness of human beings) is an alternative to struggle-based humanities. Rather than the study of wars and struggles in human history, there is a necessity to learn about positive contributions of human beings from the past until today and stories that inspire us towards humanity. It includes the study of a policy for the protection and enrichment of humanity along with the study of politics; the study of human beings, humanness and humanity along with the study of geography and history; and existential reality along with the study of literature. Literature that encourages the understanding of reality and inspires people towards humanness and humanity can play a vital role in our society.
Philosophy and Spirituality
Inclusion of Human Actions (Behaviour & Work) in Philosophy
Experiential (Realization-based) Spiritualism is an alternative to mysticism-based spiritualism. Philosophy of Harmonious Coexistence includes the study of human actions (behaviour and work) along with the study of philosophy. Philosophy is what we live. It is beyond concepts and lectures and is reflected in our day-to-day actions. Evidencing our understanding through living is satisfying and what truly inspires the next generation.